This was DELICIOUS!!!! Meatballs were super tender spices were perfect, nice and savory. Gravy was very good (I'm going to try less sour cream next time but I like a meatier gravy) I made the gravy with the dripping like it called for but I used the pan I fried meatballs in earlier which had even more drippy goodness in it. I served the meatballs over rice but I might try noodles sometime. A word of caution, try to pace yourself while eating these it's easy to inhale a couple dozen and these deserve to be savored!
1 lb ground beef
¼ cup panko bread crumbs
¼ cup milk
½ cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic minced
1 tbsp. fresh oregano chopped or 1 tsp. dry oregano
1 tbsp. olive oil
5 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. flour
2 cups beef broth (warmed up)
1 cup heavy cream
½ tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
½ tsp. kosher salt
½ tsp. pepper
- In small bowl combine panko bread crumbs and milk. Let sit for 10 minutes until bread crumbs have soaked up milk.
- In large skillet heat 1 tbsp. olive oil with 1 tbsp. butter, medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes, add garlic and oregano and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine ground beef sautéed onion, garlic and oregano.
- Mix in salt, pepper and egg, combine until egg is mixed in.
- Add bread crumbs to meat mixture and combine well.
- Use a tablespoon or scoop to make equal sized meatballs. Recipe makes approximately 20.
- Reheat skillet used to sauté onions and garlic, adding a bit more olive oil and butter if needed.
- On medium heat, brown meat balls on all sides, carefully turning so they don't break apart.
- Don't overcrowd skillet with meatballs, work in batches.
- Transfer meatballs to baking sheet and keep warm in oven while making sauce.
- Add 4 tbsp. butter to skillet, when melted whisk in flour, cook until golden brown.
- Slowly stir in heated beef broth, cook at temperature that keeps sauce at slow bubble.
- Add in cream, Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard, simmer until sauce thickens at bit.
- Add meatballs into sauce, cover and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with egg or broad noodles or mashed potatoes.