Such an amazing soup. I used 4 potatoes, and 1 big white onion. put them in the boiling water until the potatoes were really soft, then pureed them, put them back in the pot, and added the sauteed leeks. just amazing.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil (or preferred oil)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 small onion , diced
- 3 large leeks , cleaned well & thinly sliced (white & light green part only) *See note
- 5 medium russet potatoes , peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- Fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (low sodium) *See note
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (or any unsweetened plant-based milk)
- Green onion , chopped
- Pieces of cooked potato
- Fresh ground pepper
- US Customary - Metric
- Make sure leeks are washed well first. *See note on instructions
- Heat the oil, butter and a pinch of salt in a large pot over medium heat. Add the leeks & onion, sauté until softened, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and coriander. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Raise heat so it starts to simmer. Now reduce heat to a low simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from heat and remove bay leaves. Stir in the coconut milk and optional lemon juice. Taste for seasoning and add more to taste.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth and creamy. You can also use a regular blender and carefully blend in batches. Before blending, set aside a few pieces of potato for the garnish.
- Serve in soup bowls and top with chopped green onion, fresh ground pepper and a few pieces of cooked potato.
Original CREAMY VEGAN POTATO LEEK SOUP (GLUTEN-FREE) Recipe @veganhuggs.com
Please visit it to get note of this recipe