I made this cake last night. Delicious! Wonderful texture! Even the dog, who generally doesn’t care that much about cake, was determined to have some. And this morning he’s looking for more.
- 3 cups raw apples, cored, and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (Do not peel apples)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- In another medium bowl whisk together the oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix by hand. This batter will be VERY VERY stiff… like cookie dough.
- Add the apples and walnut and mix in.
- Generously spay the pans with cooking spray for baking. Put mixture into pans.
- Bake for one hour. Test the center of the cake to make sure it is done. I found this cake sometimes takes longer than an hour to completely cook all the way through.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Then turn over onto a wire rack.