These cookies taste great when made just the way the recipe is written. But, if you're like me and your cookies always turn out flat, here's how to make these cookies turn out taller, just like the ones in the picture. First, turn the oven temp down about 10 degrees. Second, don't soften the butter before mixing, just cut it into 1 tbsp pieces and mix with the sugar. Third, add an extra 1/4 cup of flour to the dough. Finally, once you've filled the thumbprints with jam, put the whole cookie sheet in the freezer for 10 minutes before baking. The first time I followed the recipe and my cookies were so flat the jam leaked through the bottom, and the second time I made these adjustments and the cookies not only tasted delicious, they looked perfect, too!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup seedless red raspberry jam
- sugar for sprinkling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 teaspoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- In a medium bowl beat butter medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add the the 2/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Beat until well combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with electric mixer and then using a wooden spoon stir in any remaining flour. Cover and chill for 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Using your thumb, press an indentation into the center of each ball. Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon of the jam into each indentation and then sprinkle with sugar. Bake about 10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool on cookie sheets for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to wire racks to finish cooling.
- For icing, in a medium bowl combine powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon water and 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract. Add enough of the remaining water to make a drizzling consistency. Drizzle cookies with icing.
Source of RASPBERRY ALMOND SHORTBREAD COOKIES Recipe @dearcrissy.com,
Visit it for complete Instruction and more Information.