Good recipe! Per other reviewers, I did the following: replaced the shortening with butter/margarine, used 1/2 tsp baking soda + 1/2 tsp baking powder, used skim milk in place of half-and-half for the glaze, and I added 1/4 tsp cinnamon to the glaze. I spooned the glaze into a ziplock bag and chilled it in the fridge for 15min while I let the cookies cool. After the cookies were completely cool, I cut a corner snip off the ziplock bag containing the glaze and squeezed it to pipe lovely designs onto the cookies.
INGREDIENTSFOR THE COOKIES:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or 1 1/4 t. cinnamon, 1/2 t. nutmeg, 1/4 t. ground cloves)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peeled, chopped tart apple (like Granny Smith)
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon milk (more if desired for a thinner glaze)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 375 F. Cover baking sheets with parchment or silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, beat butter well. Add the brown sugar and beat until combined.
- Add the egg and buttermilk and beat for 1 minute, or until mixture is light and fluffy, scraping the side of the bowl often.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, spice, and salt. Add to butter mixture, along with the chopped apples and pecans. Beat on low until combined, scraping down the side of the bowl thoroughly.
- Using a cookie scoop or rounded tablespoon, drop dough at least 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until light brown. Move cookies onto cooling racks.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients, adjusting the consistency to preference. Brush onto warm cookies.
- Once the icing has dried, cover and store the cookies in layers between pieces of waxed paper.
Source of GLAZED SOFT APPLE COOKIES Recipe @crayonsandcravings.com, Visit it for complete Instruction and more Information.