I made this recipe 3 times over the last couple of weeks for various family occasions and my family and friends absolutely loved it!



  • 2 cups almond meal
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats, blended into a flour
  • 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted and at room temperature
  • 2 tbsp rice malt syrup (make sure it’s labeled gluten free if needed)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract


  • 6 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
  • 2 cups canned full fat coconut milk
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 5 1/2 tbsp cornflour*
  • 1 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract



  1. Mix together the almond meal and oat flour into a large bowl. Add coconut oil, rice malt syrup and vanilla extract and mix until it’s all combined and forms a dough. The mixture should stick together when pressed but isn’t sticky. Add a tiny splash of almond milk if needed.
  2. Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F). Press the dough into a non stick 25cm tart pan with a removable bottom (see tart shell notes above). Place the tart pan on a baking tray, this makes it easier to get the tart shell out when it’s hot. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside to cool completely.


  1. To make the caramel sauce, combine the coconut sugar, one cup of coconut milk and salt into a medium saucepan on high heat. Stirring occasionally, bring to a boil being careful it doesn’t spill over, then turn down the heat to a high simmer. Continue to cook until it becomes darker in colour and slightly thicker. For me, it takes between 15 to 18 minutes.
  2. Take the caramel off the heat and whisk in the cornflour until smooth. Whisk in the remaining one cup of coconut milk, almond milk and vanilla extract.
  3. Place the pot on medium to high heat. Make sure to stir regularly, I like to use a heat resistant silicone spatula for this. The custard will start to form first on the bottom, when you notice this happening, give it a whisk to make sure the custard stays smooth (continue to whisk now and then throughout). When it starts to thicken, turn down the heat to low. Still stirring regularly, keep cooking until it’s a thick custard consistency. Mine takes about 5 to 8 minutes.
  4. Tap the bottom of the pot on a bench to burst any bubbles that may have formed before pouring the custard into a large heat proof bowl. Cover with cling wrap making sure it’s directly touching the surface of the filling, trying to avoid any air bubbles. This prevents a skin from forming. Let cool for 15 minutes before refrigerating for one hour.
  5. Whisk the filling until smooth again. It may be still slightly warm. Again tap the bottom of the bowl on a bench to burst any air bubbles before adding the filling into the tart shell. I like to use a spoon to create a wavy pattern on top. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours or until set. Remove the tart from the pan and sprinkle with flaked sea salt just before serving. I had mine with whipped coconut cream, caramel sauce and mini gingerbread men.