I have just made the components for this recipe. The cake was light and fluffy, just like a traditional sponge, I was amazed. I did curdle the custard, a Google search result was to pulse with stick blender and viola, smooth thick custard and tasted yummy . Just need to assemble for a family lunch tomorrow. All the components taste great, looking forward to tasting the completed trifle tomorrow and am using raspberries and blackberries.
- 3 Egg Whites, large (leftover from custard recipe)
- 3 Whole Eggs, large
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sweetener
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1&1/2 cup Almond Flour or fine almond meal, no skins
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch Salt
- 2 Raspberry Sugar Free Jelly Sachets (9g each) (Jello)
- 1 batch Keto Vanilla Custard Recipe
- 1&1/2 cup Pure Cream (pouring)
- 1 punnet Fresh Raspberries
- 30 gm Flaked Almonds, toasted (1 oz)
- Prepare jelly as per the directions and set in the fridge in a rectangle container.
- Prepare the custard as per the recipe and store in the fridge until completely chilled.
- Whip cream to soft peaks.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F) and line a lamington tin with baking paper. (a lamington tin is 30cm x 20cm x 3.5cm)
- With an electric mixer beat together the egg whites, whole eggs, sweetener and vanilla on high for 5 minutes until thick and airy.
- Combine almond flour, baking powder & salt in a small bowl and mix through.
- Lightly sprinkle the dry mixture into the egg mixture and gently fold in to combine.
- Spread into a lined lamington tin and place in the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Keep an eye on it as almond flour can brown very quickly.
- Cut the jelly and sponge into square pieces.
- Arrange one layer of cake squares in the bottom of your serving bowl. Use approximately one third of your cake pieces. You do not need to cover the base of the bowl completely just randomly place the pieces.
- Arrange one third of the jelly squares over the top of the cake layer.
- Spoon over approximately one third of the custard mixture, trying to get it into all the space between the squares.
- Repeat all three layers two more times, until all your sponge cake, jelly and custard has been used.
- Top with whipped cream then sprinkle over raspberries and almonds .
Source of Keto Trifle - Raspberries & Cream Recipe @ havebutterwilltravel.com