I like this soup. I have made it twice. The last time I made it I did not add the corn starch at the end but instead I pureed the hot soup right in the pot with my hand mixer/immersion blender (love this for soups). I left more of the broccoli stalk pieces in and this thickened the soup more healthfully. I also added two vine ripened tomatos I had roasted/mesquite smoked on the grill (Before pureeing).
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp chilli flakes/red pepper flakes (optional)
- 5 cups broccoli stems removed and finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock/broth (Home-made or good quality store bought )
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- Sauté the onion, celery, carrot and broccoli stalks in a splash of oil until soft and fragrant and just starting to brown (this takes around 10 minutes).
- Add the garlic, bay leaf and herbs and sauté for another minute before adding the chicken stock, milk and cornflour mixture.
- Bring to a simmer then add the broccoli florets and shredded chicken.
- Allow to cook for 15 minutes then season with salt, pepper and lemon (optional).
- Serve with crusty bread.
Source of EASY HEALTHY CHICKEN BROCCOLI SOUP Recipe @simply-delicious-food.com, Visit it for complete Instruction and more Information.