I was worried these weren’t going to work out since they looked so flat going into the oven, but they rose high quite a bit during baking! These were easy and delicious.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 cups flour, about 15-20 ounces (see note)
BUTTER AND TOPPING:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted (for the baking sheet)
- Dried herbs, garlic salt and grated Parmesan cheese
- In an electric stand mixer fitted with the dough hook (or in a large bowl by hand), mix together the water, yeast, sugar, salt and one cup of the flour.
- Continue adding the flour until the dough just clears the sides of the bowl; knead for about three minutes. It should be soft and slightly sticky without leaving a lot of residue on your fingers.
- Let the dough rest in the bowl for 10 minutes.
- While the dough rests, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spread the melted butter onto large, rimmed baking sheet (about 11X17-inches).
- On a lightly greased countertop, pat the dough into a long rectangle, about 16-inches by 7-inches or so. Cut the dough every 1-inch (more or less) into strips with a pizza cutter.
- Twist each strip slightly and place about 1/2-inch apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with dried herbs of choice, garlic salt and Parmesan cheese.
- Let rise for 20 minutes (you can cover with greased plastic wrap, if desired, I usually go without). Bake for 15 minutes until golden.
Source of DIVINE 1-HOUR HOMEMADE BREADSTICKS Recipe @ melskitchencafe.com