LOVE LOVE LOVE this recipe. I’ve always been intimidated by cheese cakes for whatever reason. BUT I am so happy I used this recipe as my first go around. It was a HUGE success with the family that I have made it about a dozen times in the last 6 months. I did mix and used 1 1/2 C sour cream and 1 1/2 C of greek yogurt and the family agreed that was the best of both worlds. My question is…I would like to add chopped andes mints to just the top of the cake, I don’t want them to melt but would like them to stick to the cake. When would you suggest adding them? As soon as I pull if from the oven before using the knife or after the hour it sits? I’m a cook rather than a baker and not experienced enough in the baking field.
- 2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 24 oz light (or regular) cream cheese 3 packages
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- 3 cups light sour cream I used 5% or 0% plain Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and lightly grease a 9" Springform pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Press into the prepared pan and up the sides about 1 inch up the sides. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until firm no longer moist. When done, reduce the oven heat to 275 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, prepare your filling. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar, eggs, lemon juice, vanilla and salt and beat on low speed until smooth.
- Add sour cream and beat on low until combined.
- Pour into crust and smooth the top. Bake at 275 degrees F for about 2 hours or until the outer 2 inches are set but the center is still jiggly.
- Turn off the oven and let sit in the warm oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes before carefully running a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the cheesecake. Let cool to room temperature before chilling in the fridge completely, then remove from the pan and serve.
- Baked cheesecakes store perfectly in the fridge for a few days, and the freeze wonderfully as well!
Source of THE BEST VANILLA CHEESECAKE Recipe @ thereciperebel.com