- 2 sticks butter, melted
- 1 pkg chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs (one egg for bottom cake layer THEN two eggs for filling layer)
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 16 oz confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. and prepare an 9-inch by 3 inch round cake pan OR 9×13 dish.
- Combine the cake mix, 1 egg (you will use the other two eggs elsewhere), and 1 stick melted butter (1/2 cup), and stir until well blended.
- Pat the mixture into prepared pan and set aside.
- Using a hand-held mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remaining 2 eggs and the cocoa powder.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the powdered sugar. Slowly add the remaining 1 stick (1/2 cup) of melted butter. Add vanilla and continue to beat the mixture until smooth.
- Pour filling over cake mixture in pan. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the cake; the center should still be a little gooey when finished baking. Let cake partially cool on a wire rack before cutting into pieces.
- Add your favorite frosting if desired.
Source of Gone To Heaven Chocolate Cake Recipe @ myhoneysplace.com